Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Theatre Of The Mind

I visited library yesterday. I looked for books about depression but I didn't found many for my liking. Actually there was three proper psychological books just about depression. One concentrated how characters in Bible had depressions. Another didn't mention Bible in covers but had drawings about Jesus inside. Third one referred all the time to losses (loss of job or close one) - not quite close to my depression as I see my depression more as result of internal not external reasons. I'm not Christian and I was looking for a book which would explain depression and perversions a bit. (Somehow I feel that if cover mentions Bible they are not going to go in depths with sexual perversions...)

I found Joyce McDougall's Theatre of the Mind and now I'm reading it. It seems to be pretty much what I hoped to find. Written interestingly and very psychological way - unlike some books which concentrate on life situation (they make more sense to read when depression is due situation in life - like loss of job or close person). Its maybe a bit too Freudian. I don't like the way how sexuality is used with everything. Surely sexuality is one of the biggest motivators in human mind but using terms like "homosexual" all the time in about every context is more like irritating. Over-using makes it less credible - maybe psychologists/psychiatrists associate it a bit differently though.

But still I think I'm going to read it fast. I guess at some level I expect to get a kind of "eureka" moment when done - understanding myself better after that.