Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Waiting For Christmas

So last exam this year was yesterday. I was (like I guessed before) in some kind of sobbing state whole day after it. Its just the relief after stress. I think I did well this fall when considering my current state. Now its Christmas holidays and I should relax and try to forget things for a while. Though its couple days left (here we celebrate Christmas eve not day) and I haven’t even thought about Christmas presents…

I’m going to my parents on Christmas eve like I go every year. Grandmother will be there and maybe my cousin with her man and daughter. We traditionally just have peaceful evening. I start day at home. I go to sauna and eat rice porridge for lunch. It’s something I had always with my ex boyfriend. Then I’ll walk to my parents house (they live just couple km away). Usually lots of relatives visit shortly to say merry Christmas and have a glass of glögg. Later in evening we sit around table and start eating.

I guess there’s slight culinaristic traits in our family. Usually there’s lots of different fish dishes (raw salted, cold smoked, pickled) and some roe too. The main thing after starters is the ham. Just plain pork ham, roasted in oven and then given mustard/clove coating. With it there perunalaatikko (which is traditional Finnish Christmas dish – its basically smashed potatoes which has been baked so long that the starch turns into sugar and gives round, sweet flavour), lanttulaatikko (oven baked mashed swedes) and porkkanalaatikko (oven baked smashed carrots). Then there’s different pickles and sauce and such. Usually we very traditional and simple main course but very different starters – some years we have got sushi for starters.

After that we usually take a break for a while. Some time after that is coffee and dessert. And after those we usually open presents together. Its become a tradition that no one suggests it until my dad finally loses nerves and asks when we’ll do it :) After presents its just sitting, chatting and such. Peaceful and quiet actually. My grandmother is over 85 year old and she still stays up with us well past the midnight. I usually walk home late night unless its raining or snowing too much.
So that’s what my Christmas is like every year. Could be worse :) I just hope I’ll manage to forget every for one day – it would be a perfect Christmas for me.